If you're crunched for time to prepare a decent meal, don't fret! All you need is a piece of pita bread (or whatever bread you have available), ham, and cheese then you're good to have a quick munch. I know a lot of people are always rushing to the office and don't have time to prepare breakfast. Or too tired to whip up a hearty dinner. This is very common for those who live alone and would prefer to just buy anything from a convenience store. I know this because this is what I do when I used to work away from family. Guilty as charged. But now I have a family, I do my best to make everything homemade. :)
- 1 pc pita bread, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped ham (or whatever leftover meat you have)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded melting cheese
- 1 tsp butter
- mushrooms, chopped (optional)
1. Slice the pita bread into half and prepare your fillings. Heat a skillet over medium heat.
2. Melt the butter and toast the bread. On one of the pita slices, place half of the cheese on top and let it melt. Do not overturn.
3. As the cheese melts, place the onions and ham. Top with the rest of the cheese. Cover with other pita slice and press. Make sure not to burn the bread, just a light toast.
4. Slice the sandwich into two. Serve warm with mustard and hot sauce.
I just had this for lunch. I paired it with a steaming bowl of chicken and corn soup. Oh, happiness!