Wednesday 14 March 2012

Review: Absolute Thai

Last January, the husband's aunt came to visit her daughter (the husband's cousin who's also staying here). We went out to dinner with them at Absolute Thai at the nearby mall. I think I liked the place just because it was not packed. It helped that we dined on a weekday during Chinese New Year celebration, meaning everybody's still in a festive mood with their relatives and not in the malls.

We ordered Gai Haw Bai Toey (Chicken in Pandan Leaves), Tofu with basil, stir fried veggies with kailan leaves, and Beef in Hot plate. Each of us got a cup of the plain jasmine rice and I can say it was just enough to make me feel stuffed.

As for the chicken, it tasted wonderful. I'm not sure if I was really hungry that night or I just missed this dish. :)

Gai Haw Bai Toey $12
As you can see on the photo below, the chicken is cooked perfectly. There's a part where the chicken is crispy and the insides are tender and flavorful.
Up close view of the chicken in pandan leaves

It was my first time to try a Thai dish with tofu. I must say this got me interested in trying out more dishes made of bean curd. It had the fantastic blend of spiciness in taste and the signature Thai aroma. As you may know, I'm not a big fan of veggies but I'm doing my best to be more open in trying.

Tofu with basil
For the stir fried veggies with kailan leaves, it was nothing spectacular. Just another stir fried veggies that you can get in any asian restaurant.

Stir-fried veggies with kailan leaves

Since I'm not a fan of beef and I rarely eat this meat, I cannot really say how this dish fared. The beef was tender and taste was just ordinary. I was hoping for a more touch of Thai in this -- spicy, a little bit of basil or touch of curry perhaps.

Beef in Hot Plate
Overall, I was happy with the service and the food. Out of 5, I'd give Absolute Thai a score of 3.5 for the cleanliness of the place, fast service and good food.

Location: Absolute Thai, 2 Tampines Central 5, #01-19 Century Square Shopping Centre
Tel: 6260 8846
Fax: 6260 8847
Opening Hours: 11:30 am – 9:45 pm

5 comments:

  1. Tin , all that yummy food makes me hungry !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Thai dish with tofu seems interesting for me since I love eating tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It got me really interested, sis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review dits! This gave me an inspiration to do a Thai dinner for family. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice dits! :) sarap ng thai food. gusto ko ng satay!!

      Delete